Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why the Vicarious Triker?

Let me begin with a story. Sometime around the middle of March, I joined Facebook. One of the first people to write on my wall was Dee Simmons, a high school classmate whom I had not heard from for years, maybe not even since we graduated in 1966. In looking at her FB wall and profile, I noticed a few postings from friends and family about an upcoming "trike" trip. I was intrigued, but assumed they were talking about a group trip like Bike Across Kansas. I was astounded to learn that Cal and Dee were planning to ride from Wichita to Skagway, Alaska, and just the two of them. Amazing.

Then on April 9 they began their journey and started posting about it to their blog, trike trips. I was immediately mesmerized, and for a variety of reasons. First, I enjoy outdoor activities myself, and was not just a little envious of what they are doing. Second, I am quite familiar with (or used to be) most of the roads they took for the first few days. Third I like travel and maps, so it was natural to want to see where they were going. Fourth, the use of the Internet has long been a hobby of mine, and I love Google maps, Weather.com, and blogging tools. Needless to say, I became completely captivated by their trip and now look forward to following along with them every mile of the way.

You might wonder, then, why I don't just post my comments on their blog. Actually I do intend to write an occasional comment there when it seems appropriate, but this remarkable journey stands by itself. It obviously requires no remarks by me. If anything I would only like to call attention to what they are doing. In any case, Dee and Cal have graciously given me permission to start this blog as a creative outlet for my own observations and thoughts about their trip. This is merely my way of experiencing their trip vicariously. Thank you for sharing this adventure with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment